Carolien Devilee studied at the Royal Conservatoire, in The Hague. She became a Music Teacher, specializing in Piano under the guidance of Jan Boumans.
After graduating in 1990, she worked at The Royal Conservatoire as a tutor for Vocal students, among other positions. She has participated in both solo and musical ensembles.
Her love and interest for singing made her follow a second study in Singing. Well-known teachers supervised her including, Thea v/d Putten, Julia Bronkhorst, Xenia Meijer and Ingrid Kapelle.
Carolien’s voice has a light, yet low Mezzo timbre. Throughout the years her musical career has switched from teaching to performing to now composing. She is a broadly educated and talented Pianist and Singer, who is capable of playing & improvising in a variety of musical styles.
Together with the Iraqi musician, Sattar al Saadi, she started the ‘Aladino Project’ – an exciting music combination that is meant to create a new form of Arabic, Sephardic and Western music.
A small selection of other Concerts/Projects that Carolien has performed in:
- Aquacert (piano and singing) with Ronald Brautigam & Melvyn Tan
- Ensemble Street Fable (vocals), with Jan Willem de Vriend and Louis Andriessen.
- Alto soloist in the Matthäus Passion – J.S.Bach
- Pianist at ‘Nederland Leest’ with Tania Kross.
Next to her musical performances, Carolien works extensively as a Composer & Arranger.
She has composed:
- Several piano works on Parfume ads for Guerlain, as well as other Solo works for Piano
- Song recitations based on Gregorian Chants & Poems of W.B.Yeats
- Instrumental works for Projects of various artists
- Duets (Rotates) for several instruments
- Piano accompaniments for the music method, ‘The Circle-Game’
- Geelvinck Suite for the A’dam International Geelvinck Festival 2015
Now happily joining the Voice4Thought Festival 2016, she will be performing as a Pianist & Singer!
For more information on Carolien Devilee, check out her website:
Nieuwstraat 57, 2312 KA Leiden
- +31 (0)71 513 73 25 • M. +31 (0)6 10 55 44 10